Friday, February 23, 2018
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Do you have a major sweet tooth? Who doesn't right? Well this weeks Wellness Wednesday are three desserts you don't have to feel bad about! These are great for kids, adults, parties, or just keep some in the fridge when those midnight munchies come around.
#1 DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BITES
This dessert if the super easy and great for making a big bunch and snacking on them all week long. This is also pretty versatile. You can sub the peanut butter for almond or other nut butters, or even white chocolate for dark chocolate. Let's get to making these delicious little treats.
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter or nut butter
- 3/4 cup dark baking chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice each banana into thin slices and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Spread peanut butter onto each banana slice, then top with another slice of banana.
- Place in freezer for about 30 minutes or until frozen and the bananas stick together.
- Melt coconut oil in a bowl and stir in chocolate chips, and continue to microwave until everything is melted and smooth.
- Place banana back on the parchment paper and place back in the freezer until frozen.
- Store in a freezer and enjoy!
#2 SAMOA APPLE SLICES
Do you wait for Girl Scout cookies every year? Does it make you physically smile when you see the cookie displays outside the grocery store? Well here is a healthy alternative to a favorite girl scout cookie, that is perfect for the kids or for a party.
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup caramel
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Slice apples into 1/4'' thick slices.
- Cut out the core with a melon scoop.
- In a bowl add caramel, and coconut flakes, and stir.
- Spoon mixture onto each apple slice.
- in a microwave safe bowl melt chocolate chips and butter.
- Drizzle melted chocolate onto the caramel and serve!
#3 FRUIT SALSA - WITH BAKED CINNAMON SUGAR CHIPS
This is the most exciting thing to taco Tuesday since margaritas! This fruit salad is fresh, healthy, and delicious! Check it out below.
- 1 mango, peeled, and diced
- 1 peach, peeled and diced
- 3 kiwis, peeled and sliced
- Strawberries, diced
- 1 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp strawberry jam
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 (6 inch flour tortillas)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick spray.
- Mix all fruit ingredients into a large bowl and toss with lemon juice and strawberry jam.
- In a bowl mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush both sides of the tortillas lightly with butter and sprinkle the tortillas with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cut tortillas into 6 wedges (like a pizza).
- Bake in a preheated in oven for 10-12 minutes, turning the chips halfway through. Let chips cool and serve with fruit salsa.
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
By now you have probably heard of the meal prep movement. Ever invite someone over on a Sunday to hangout and they say, "No, sorry I have to meal prep." Some people meal prep breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and some only make lunch and dinner for the week.
Whatever you decide meal prepping can save you money, help you maintain a healthy lifestyle, and save you time in the morning to get a few more minutes of sleep!
Today's Wellness Wednesday is one of the easiest meal preps you will ever do. My friend introduced me to this idea and let's just say it's the easiest way to prepare a weeks worth of meals in less than 30 minutes! All you need is friends, mason jars or food containers, and 30 minutes one evening early in the week.
Still Interested? Let's get started!
This meal prep is a salad meal prep that will get you four to five meals and all you have to bring is one ingredient! How cool is that? Just think about how expensive fruits and veggies are here in Hawaii, you could have four to five complete salads for the price of bringing one thing.
Get a group of your friends, friends of friends, spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, parents, and anyone who wants to make some delicious salads. You can also set up a group on Facebook that keeps track of what everyone is bringing so you don't have any duplicates.
Here's the set-up:
Start a Facebook Group and add as many friends and family that live in your area and want to be apart of a healthy lifestyle!
Set a time and day (preferably Sunday or Monday) to meet at someones home to make the salads. You don't need a ton of space just enough for people to get around.
Let everyone know that you can get four or five meals and all you have to bring is one ingredient. Approximately 10 cups of whatever ingredient you want. It's like a salad bar but 1/10 of the price!
Have them add what they are bringing to the group. Then have everyone else sign up to bring another ingredient.
Have everyone show up at a specific time with mason jars or air tight food containers in hand.
Set out all ingredients, set a starting spot, and have everyone put a spoonful of whatever ingredients they want into their jars until four to five jars are finished.
That's it! How simple is that? Within 30 minutes you have meals prepped for the whole week!
Some additional tips:
- Don't add lettuce until you get home or the day of to maximize freshness.
- Don't add/bring meat again to maintain freshness.
- Add cheese and dressing on your own if necessary day of consumption.
Need some ideas on what to bring:
- Black Beans
- Garbanzo Beans
- Bell Peppers
- Green Beans
- Green onion
BONUS: Feel good that you are eating all these veggies and don't want to ruin it with fatty and high calorie salad dressing? Here's a quick and tasty dressing you can make with ingredients you probably already have in your fridge.
Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (CLICK HERE to learn the amazing benefits of ACV)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper + more if needed
Mix together store in mason jar. Shake before consumption.
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- Base: 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of two lines
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
Mix together and store in mason jar. Shake before consumption.