Healthy Broccoli Salad
This easy dish is perfect to being to a holiday party and not feel guilty about going for seconds, it is also a quick meal for a family dinner. Make sure to prepare a little extra to take for lunch the next day the left overs are delish!
Broccoli: Everyone knows about this health food. It is the food that our parents always told us to eat, and they were right, broccoli has health benefits that are amazing! First off it has significant amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, dietary fiber, folate, potassium, vitamin A, manganese, vitamin B6, and various antioxidants. If that is not enough broccoli also detoxifies the body with the presents of vitamin C and sulfer combined with amino acids broccoli is a great detoxifier. Broccoli helps remove free radicals and toxins like uric acid from the body. By doing this it purifies your blood and keeps problems related to toxins like boils, itches, rashes, gout, arthritis and eczema at bay.
It also promotes healthy skin with its high amounts of vitamin C, vitamin B complex, vitamin E, vitamins K &A, omega 3 fatty acids, amino acids and folate. These properties will leave your hair and skin glowing, healthy, and radiant!
It also can help treat stomach disorders with the rich amount of fiber in each serving. It also aids in bone health, helps in pregnancy, improves immunity, treats anemia, improves bone health, and regulates blood pressure!
Chia Seeds: You may have heard the frenzy over these little seeds in the last couple of months. An article was published in MedicalNewsToday about these little guys! CLICK HERE to read the article by Megan Ware RDN LD. But in a nutshell Chia Seeds aid in weight loss with the high amounts of fiber which helps people feel full longer, and having hight levels of omega-3-fatty acids may aid in weight loss. Chia Seeds can also help treat Diverticulitis due to the fiber content. Supports cardiovascular health and cholesterol. Also aids in digestion and detox.
- 8 cups of broccoli florets (broccoli that had been chopped and washed)
- 7-8 strips of bacon depending on preference (you can also go without bacon or sub for turkey bacon).
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (great source of protein!)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat pan to medium high heat to cook bacon. Cook bacon until crispy usually 5-7 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel and blot off excess grease. Once dry chop into smaller bites.
- Prepare dressing: add greek yogurt, stone ground mustard, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Mix together with a whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl toss broccoli florets, bacon bits, cranberries, sunflower seeds, and dressing together until everything is coated with dressing mixture.
- When ready to eat sprinkle on chia seeds. (Note: Chia seeds become gelatinous when mixed with liquid- they are still ok to eat and has great health benefits, however for the salad we want a dry seed texture.)
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.